Least Stressful Cities for Your Next Travel Assignment
In keeping with the American Nurses Association ‘Year of the Healthy Nurse’ campaign for April regarding Stress Management, let’s take a look at some of the least stressful travel destinations for your next assignment.
- Most of California – I know, this article is supposed to be about ‘Least Stressful Cities,' but according to Wallethub’s survey of 150 American cities, five out of the top ten least stressful cities are in California. Fremont and Irvine, California rank number 1 and 2 respectively, followed by San Jose at #5, San Francisco at #6 and San Diego rounding out the top ten. If you are looking to plan your next travel assignment in a stress-free location, California seems like a good place to start.
- Honolulu, HI – If you spend any time at all talking to your fellow travel nurses about places on their bucket list of future assignment locations, Hawaii, in general, is usually in the discussion. Honolulu, in addition to being home to beautiful beaches, amazing landscapes, and incredible weather ranks as the third least stressful city in the country. I’m pretty sure that the beaches, scenery, and landscapes have a lot to do with that, but maybe you should see for yourself and plan an assignment there at the next opportunity.
- Madison, WI – This top-five least stressful city may surprise you, but for those who live there, it is no surprise at all. Known as a college town, this Midwestern gem is as American as apple pie. With four lakes in and around the city limits providing plenty of waterfront activities in the summer time to accompany the outdoor markets and festivals that keep Madison residents and visitors entertained all summer long.
- Plano, TX – Coming in at #7 on the list of least stressful cities, Plano Texas is also known as one of America’s safest cities. This city, the ninth most populous in the state of Texas is within driving distance to larger cities including Dallas, Fort Worth, and Arlington. Plano is home to several thousand acres of lush park lands and is known for its cultural events that take place year round. From theater to Art Exhibitions, to live music shows, there is always something happening to take the edge off of your workday.
- Overland Park, KS – There is not much to get stressed about when you are on assignment in Overland Park, Kansas. Another Midwestern finalist on the list, Overland Park boasts a burgeoning nightlife scene, dinner theater venues and live music of all genres. If ghost hunting is your scene, learn why Travel Channel ranks this destination as having some of the scariest haunted venues in the country. Located only 13 miles from downtown Kansas City, now is a good time to plan your assignment Overland Park, annually ranked near the top of ‘Best Places to Live’ lists.
Other cities ranked near the top of the Least Stressful Cities list include Sioux Falls, SD, St. Paul/Minneapolis, MN, Austin TX and Boise, ID. What cities have you been on assignment in that you would consider as “non-stressful”? Share your thoughts in the comment section below or visit us on our Facebook page.